Thursday, May 10, 2012

New use for old tomato cages

My shelling peas and sugar peas are growing so beautifully, and needed trellising sooner than I thought they would this year. Since I like to repurpose where I can, I was looking around the shed for materials when I came across some old tomato cages. The lightbulb went off in my head! My four year old gardening partner and I had a grand time flattening the cages. We just laid them on the ground, and then stomped on them to flatten them. Once flattened they slid perfectly right inside my raised bed, and the peas are gratefully climbing. I would love to hear others ideas on repurposing in the garden.

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea
    I cannot wait to stomp on those old wire cages I have been saving for years��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! My pea vines are 4 feet tall, bit still no peas, is that normal?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! My pea vines are 4 feet tall, bit still no peas, is that normal?

    ReplyDelete